Monday, September 1, 2008

Inspired by Nie

I have been reading my second cousins blog. I have mentioned her and her husband who were in the plane crash. Her husband Christian is actually the one who is my cousin. Anyway I have been reading her blog regularly (all previous posts since she is still in recovery at the hospital). Today I read something on her blog that inspired me and I wanted to share it with all of you. I hope you can take something from this quote the way I have. I think it has even more special meaning coming from her and her circumstances right now.
"Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments.{or if I could enter here-the basket-head mother syndrome} She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

My hope is to live eachday for what it is a gift from my Heavenly Father. I love my family and don't want to take any moments with them for granted. Thank you Nie for your inspiration and example.

2 comments:

Tara said...

That's a beautiful quote and so true.

Lacey said...

Love that quote. That is definelety something I need to work on. It somehow seems that the house always needs cleaning. But I am working on waiting until bed time and spending more quality time with the kids. Doing pretty good too. You should see my messy house! :)