Thursday, August 20, 2009

22 Minutes of TANTRUM!!!


Don't let this adorable little face fool you this post is titled 22 minutes of Tantrum for a reason. This morning I was trying to get breakfast ready for the girls so that I could get Mattie's school lunch made while they ate. They were watching Little Einsteins and just as I come in the front room to just check on them Kylee is pulling all the dvd's down off the entertainment center. I said "Kylee no! No, no!". She then looked at me, took her two mischievous hands and grabbed another arm full of dvd's and threw them to the ground. To make matters worse she is looking AT ME while she is doing it and then she says "ha!". Like she was teaching me a lesson that this is what happens when you tell ME no. I then proceeded to tell her no again and she repeated the same scenario as before. With the "ha!" after and everything. I knew in that moment I HAD to take charge and let her know that believe it or not I AM THE MOMMY! So I went over to her and told her to pick them up and put them back right now. She just looked and me and walked away. So I took her hand and calmly (no joke) walked her back to the pile of dvd's on my floor and again instructed her to pick these up. She looked at me and started to walk away. I quickly took her hand to make her stay by me. This did NOT make her happy. She started crying and throwing herself around. She was crying "I want binky!". She said it over and over and over. I told her she could have binky as soon as she put all the dvd's back where they belong. Oh my gosh then did the tantrum begin!! She was throwing herself on the ground and rolling all over the front room screaming! I heard a little voice in my head say "Stick to it. Don't give in.". I knew that voice was right but I didn't like seeing her cry. Don't worry though I listened to the voice. I STUCK MY GROUND! I finally got it through to Kylee that this wasn't going to get any better until she picked up the dvd's. So 23 minutes later.........the dvd's were being put back were they belong by my feisty little baby girl. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! I stuck my ground and Kylee learned that mommy can be pretty stubborn too. I know there will be more of these lovely tantrums to come but I am happy to say that I succeeded in not giving in. I love you Kylee!!

6 comments:

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

Good job for not giving in and holding your ground! Kylee is so funny!

Erin said...

maybe you can come hold some ground with chase...he's exhausting me! I can't believe how many times he keeps throwing things down the stairs, no matter how much trouble he gets in! I think he feels it's worth it!

Colin Moses said...

Wow Brianne! That takes a lot of persistence sticking to something like that! I always told myself i would be one of those moms who would NOT give in to their children, but I am learning very very quickly that when the baby cries you just want to give them what they want. I think I understand a little bit more how difficult it is going to be! But seriously way to go!!!!

Ginny said...

that comment above was actually from me :)

Karla said...

Brianne,
It must be something in the air. Ethan had the worst tantrum ever this morning. It was aweful. I am sorry you went through it, but it was nice to read your post today. If this is how 2 year olds act, I am not looking forward to the next year.AHHHH! What comes over them!?!

Lacey said...

Good job for not giving in! It is so hard to stay strong and not give in when they are acting like that. Gotta love those tantrums!!