Monday, July 13, 2009

Bye, Bye Blankie!!


When Mattison was 9 months old I was diagnosed with cancer and so literally one day I had to stop nursing her cold turkey. It was hard on me and Mattison but Mattie found a way to comfort herself. She started sucking on her soft pink blankie and that was that. She sucked it anytime she was sad, mad, happy, tired or sick! I couldn't get it away from her. We were finally able to start weening her from the blankie slowly. It couldn't leave the car, then couldn't leave the house then finally she could only have it in her room. Right before we left for San Diego Mattie and I sat down and had the bye, bye blankie talk. She said "Yeah I don't need blankie I'm a big girl." If I knew it would have been that easy I would have done it a long time ago. I explained to her that blankie would stay home while we were on vacation then when we came back she could wrap it up in a pretty box where it would stay FOREVER!!! Once again she was all on board. So here are the pictures of Mattie saying goodbye to her precious blankie. (Honestly though I think Billy will miss her blankie more than Mattie will. Whenever she would get so mad and he couldn't get her to calm down he would just tell her to go get blankie and calm down. hee, hee) I should have taken pictures of Billy saying bye, bye to blankie. :)

You will notice I put packing tape around the box so it couldn't be opened. ha, ha

I also loved how she signed it :)

Way to go big girl!! Mommy is so proud of you!! Yes Billy I am proud of you too!

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

I know how we, as parents, get 'hooked' on binkies & blankies. Tee hee hee!! They become real convenient and we underestimate the kid's willingness to give them up... they do fine... we sometimes struggle a little more. ;^)

Way to go Mattie, I'm proud of you!

Krista said...

Good job Matti Moo!!!!! I'm soooooo proud of you!!! LOVE YOU!!

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

Wow Mattie! You are a big girl!! Good job!! I am so impressed! You are awesome!!!

ikathy33 said...

You're doing such a great job on these blogs. I love it. And I must say, you were all brave to say "good bye" to such an old friend. But alas it was time. "Bye Bye Blankie"

The Pritchard Party said...

How exciting! What a big girl Mattie is! Good job hun!

I had a blankie too when I was younger. I never sucked on it or anything, but I did sleep with it through most of high school :) Of course by then it wasn't much of a blankie anymore.

Carla said...

What a cute idea! I had Lindsey's blankie in a pretty box and at her baptism I spoke about the gift of the Holy Ghost and let her open her box to compare it.

Tara said...

Yippee, Matti! Way to go! You are a big girl ;)

J + A = K & J said...

Good girl Matti! I'm so proud of you. Before Colin went to kindergarten my parents had a blankie burning party for his blankie. That's right I said BURNING. Poor guy never got to see it again. Matti's looks so pretty all wrapped to be treasured forever.