Saturday, May 23, 2009

Learning to live through struggles

A few months ago I attended a stake Relief Society meeting that had multiple speakers in attendance. I felt like there were so many times that the speaker was talking just to me (when in reality there were probably a lot of women in the room thinking the same thing). Thanks to the Spirit that is the case, the Spirit of our Heavenly Father can speak to us individually even in a crowded room. There was one speaker in particular who I really felt was speaking to me. She was reading from her journal and honestly she could have been reading directly from my journal and read pretty much the same thing. That day I learned that I am not the only one who struggles with something that makes me very sad. What is even more crazy about this is that it has been people I never would have thought had this struggle. I don't even like saying the word but I know it is real...depression. These past few days I have really had a hard time and felt like I would just do better to stay in bed and not come in contact with anyone. That way I could save them the pain of seeing me act or feel in a way that I didn't want to feel. Some people would say that it is all in your head or to just buck up but it is unfortunately NOT that easy. I wish it was!! I have not wanted to go out of my house but I have tried to do everything I can to get out EVERYDAY! For some that would not seem like a big task but sadly it is a big task when I feel the way I do. It probably doesn't help that I have hormones raging being pregnant but I struggle with this even when I'm not pregnant. Anyways I am not posting this for any to say "Oh poor Brianne" or to get sympathy or anything like that. I just felt like I needed to put some of MY feelings and thoughts out in writing for me and my loved ones to look back on. Some of you may think why would anyone want to read something sad like this. I know that when that sweet sister shared her journal with 100's of other women that I was 1 of many I'm sure who was affected and blessed by her sharing her struggle. I know I am NOT alone even though at times like this I feel alone. I am so blessed to have an understanding husband who listens to me cry about the weirdest things, who just holds me when I need it or who let's me be alone when I need it. I am thankful to my Heavenly Father for many blessings he has given me and continues to give. I know that without the help of him and my Savior I wouldn't be where I am today...sitting here sharing such a struggle with all who read this. If you are reading this and struggle with similar things please know you are not alone and with the help of the Savior anything is possible. Even if it is just getting into the shower for the day! :)

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

When you struggle with this, I'm glad you have the gospel AND an understanding of the Savior's Atonement in our lives. He can help you with that burden. You also have a mother that loves you way more than can be expressed and wants you to be happy.

You've always had a strong spirit. That will benefit you during times like these. Keep getting out of bed, and getting out of the house. Fresh air and a little exercise might be key to getting through this.

I love you. I'll help you with what I can... even if it's just listening.

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

Brianne, I love you so much. I know that I don't tell you that very often but I hope you know that. You have a very strong spirit and I can tell that you have a close association with our Savior. I wish I could help you. I have to agree with mom, exercise works WONDERS... seriously. And being outside in nature is so great for the human spirit because it connects us more with our maker. I love you. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Gates & Tausha said...

BRIANNE!!! :) you've proved it again, you're a courageous one...it's not easy to share those kinds of things. :) but i admire you for doing it. this is a trial...and trials reek, but they also make us. :) keep on keepin on...knowing that there's not a single pereson i know that doesn't love you. :) you make everyone feel so great around you...you deserve to feel how you make others feel. :) know that. :)

W.W. said...

Thank you for your honesty Brianne. Walking helps me TREMENDOUSLY, (although exercise is the LAST thing you feel like doing when you are depressed.) My friend was actually on medication for pre-natal depression. If this persists you should talk to your doctor (if you haven't already.)You bring a smile to so many people. I know you didn't share this for people to feel sorry for you, but just know that we love you and admire you for your courage to share this!

W.W. said...

Hey Brianne, this is Adam. I'm using Whitney's login to write this, but I just want to say that you are so cool! Hey, did you know that Abraham Lincoln struggled with "Meloncholia" aka - Depression? He was pretty cool too.

Carla said...

Brianne,
I would love to talk to you more about this. Email me: wandeltmomx4@gmail.com
Carla

The Pritchard Party said...

I think it was very brave of you to put your feelings out like that, Brianne. And you're right, most people who struggle with things like depression comes across as the least depressed people. I would classify you as one of those people. I too went to that enrichment activity and it was by far the best one I've been to.

I've never been truly depressed, so I can't say I completely understand, but I do have tendencies towards those feelings and I understand it must be frustrating. Please know that even though you'll tell yourself in your head that you'd be bothering me and that I don't want to talk to you... you can ALWAYS call me and I would LOVE to talk to you :)

I love you Brianne. Thank you for sharing that.

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing your true feelings...it's easy to hide or be embarrased but we all have problems and trials we go through if if it doesn't appear so.

I've watched Cody's mom go through depression and seen that it truly can happen to everyone. She is 100% better now and seeing how hard it was for her gives me so much more compassion for those who struggle with it.

LOVE YOU!! XOXO